THE OLD NUCLEAR BUNKER
Tremayne Food & Drink is located in what was formerly RAF Treleaver. The building is a huge relic of the Cold War, disused since the 1950s. We have converted and occupy a small part of the building.
After the Second World War a chain of ROTOR R6 nuclear bunkers were built in response to the nuclear threat from the Soviet Union. They were intended to function as early-warning radar stations, and as centres for regional government and administration in the event of a nuclear war. Our building, an imposing concrete lump hidden away in the hills above the scenic village of Coverack, was located to look out to the Atlantic.
The buildings were constructed in the early 1950s. Our building was completed in about 1954, and was operational for only a short while. The bunkers quickly became redundant due to technological advances, and our building was decommissioned in the late 1950s.